Nombre * Profesor * Gabby Owen Patty Sammy
A. Phrasal Verbs: Choose the correct option.
1. ’After a hard day at work I just like to __________ at home.’ * (a) check out (b) chill out (c) cut out 2. ’The player was __________ of the team for laziness.’ * (a) backed out (b) checked out (c) kicked out 3. ’If electric cars __________ with the public, the air will be much cleaner.’ * (a) catch on (b) draw on (c) move on 4. ‘Mark’s looking tired. I think he’s __________ too much work.’ * (a) called on (b) run on (c) taken on 5. ’The report __________ research carried out in several countries.’ * (a) catches on (b) draws on (c) stays on
B. Conditionals: Choose the INCORRECT option.
1. ‘This medicine is safe __________ exceed the stated dose.’ * (a) as long as you don’t (b) unless you (c) in case you don’t 2. ’If you’d drunk more water, __________ a lot better.’ * (a) you’d have felt (b) you’d feel (c) you’d felt 3. ’It’d be best to call the health centre __________ dizzy again.’ * (a) if you feel (b) providing you feel (c) should you feel 4. ‘Carl would have taken longer to recover__________ so fit.’ * (a) if he had not been (b) if he might not have been (c) had he not been 5. ’Others would have caught the disease __________ carrying it.’ * (a) unless he had been (b) if he were (c) had he been
C. Passive and Causative: Choose the correct option.
1. ‘I __________ by my friend Steve.’ * (a) had my old printer fixed (b) had fixed my old printer 2. ‘He wants __________ for the interview.’ * (a) made a new suit (b) a new suit made 3. ‘Last year’s downturn __________ by the rise in oil prices.’ * (a) is believed was caused (b) is believed to have been caused 4. ’__________ that interest rates would soon rise.’ * (a) It was reliably reported yesterday (b) There was reliably reported yesterday 5. ‘Alfie __________ because he never put any money in it.’ * (a) had his account closed (b) was closed his account
D. Prefixes and Suffixes: Choose the correct option.
1. ’Old __________ equipment should be given away to charity.’ * (a) useless (b) unuseful (c) inuseful 2. ’Like in many other countries, life in the city is hectic and __________.’ * (a) stressing (b) stressful (c) unstressed 3. ‘The organisers are very __________ about cancelling the race.’ * (a) apologetic (b) apologising (c) apologised 4. ‘It is the children’s __________ that will help them to cope with life’s problems.’ * (a) inbringing (b) outbringing (c) upbringing 5. ‘Some athletes do not have access to the latest technology for __________ reasons.’ * (a) economical (b) economic (c) economy
E. Vocabulary: Choose the correct option.
1. ‘Frida was __________ when she passed her English exam.’ * (a) down to earth (b) over the moon (c) out of the blue 2. ’At first __________, they look like photos, but they’re actually drawings.’ * (a) glance (b) glimpse (c) gaze 3. ‘There are still a few homes without internet but __________ everyone is online nowadays.’ * (a) other than (b) let alone (c) by and large 4. ‘The sculpture is worth an __________10 million dollars.’ * (a) assessed (b) estimated (c) evaluated 5. ‘In that picture there’s a tall woman with a hat and a short, fair-__________ man.’ * (a) length (b) haired (c) looking
F. Gerund and Infinitives: Choose the correct option.
1. ‘I don’t remember __________ seats for the concert but I have the tickets here.’ * (a) booking (b) to book (c) book 2. ‘I really regret __________ him that I liked Mozart.’ * (a) telling (b) to tell (c) tell 3. ‘Unfortunately, they forgot __________ the insurance on the art gallery.’ * (a) renewing (b) to renew (c) renew 4. ‘I couldn’t afford __________ to the ballet.’ * (a) going (b) to go (c) go 5. ‘Anna’s parents should __________ her have music lesson if she wants.’ * (a) letting (b) to let (c) let